Turkey Neck Gravy
Turkey neck gravy is a simple way to make gravy when you’re grilling or smoking a turkey and don’t have any pan drippings.
This recipe uses a turkey neck to make a simple stock that works as the base for the gravy. To make the gravy more interesting, because there’s no reason gravy has to be boring, we’ve added some hot sauce, fresh thyme, and smoked paprika.
Turkey Neck Gravy
Turkey neck gravy is a simple way to make gravy when you're grilling or smoking a turkey and don't have any pan drippings. This recipe uses a turkey neck to make a simple stock that works as the base for the gravy. To make the gravy more interesting, because there's no reason gravy has to be boring, we've added some hot sauce, fresh thyme, and smoked paprika.
- 1 turkey neck
- 1 cup white onion roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of thyme for stock
- 1 tsp thyme minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a good sized pot, brown the turkey neck in a little bit of butter. Add in the onions, celery, and garlic and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add in 8 cups of water, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and sprigs of thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 4 to 5 hours.
- After everything has finished cooking, strain everything out and put the stock back on the stove and let the stock reduce until there are approximately 2 cups of liquid left.
- In a saucepan, make a roux by whisking the butter and flour together over medium-low heat. Once the roux has turned golden brown, pour in the stock, while whisking.
- Add the smoked paprika, minced thyme, hot sauce, salt, and pepper and continue stirring until the gravy has reached the desired consistency.
- The gravy will start to thicken up as it cools.
This recipe also makes a tasty gravy with chicken or turkey stock, although it won't have the depth of flavor that it gets from making homemade stock.
Sign up for our newsletter to get delicious recipes and interesting stories.