Cranberry Apple Crisp
Tart cranberries, crisp apples, and a hint of orange come together to make this delicious Cranberry Apple Crisp recipe. This Cranberry Apple Crisp is delicious on its own, served with whip cream or ice cream.
We like to serve it with Orange Zested Whipped Cream, which uses a little orange zest and cinnamon to highlight the flavors in the crisp.
Tips for Better Crisp
Here are a few tips for better crisp. The butter should be chilled, fridge or freezer is fine when you’re making the crisp topping. If the butter is too warm, the topping becomes more like a dough than a crisp.
We like to use a mix of good baking apples, focusing on what’s local and fresh. Using a combination of apples helps create interesting flavors and textures. The recipe works with fresh or frozen cranberries.
The reason the last cup of cranberries goes on top of the apples and the other cranberries is because the cranberries tend to end up on the bottom of the pan when they’re mixed with the apples. This helps distribute the cranberries evenly throughout the crisp.
Get More Umami
Sign up to get our best recipes, cooking tips, & stories delivered to your inbox!
Cranberry Apple CrispPrint Pin Recipe
- 7 to 9 apples
- 3 cups cranberries
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/4 cups butter, chilled
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1-1/4 cups brown sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 tsp cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp orange zest
Orange Zested Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whip cream
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp sugar
- Small dash of cinnamon
- In a mixer combine the flour, sugar, rolled oats, butter, 1 cup of brown sugar, and 2 tsp of cinnamon for 3 to 4 minutes on medium until the butter has been completely incorporated into the mixture.
- In a small bowl mix the allspice and orange zest with a 1/4 cup of brown sugar and a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.
- Peel and core the apples, cutting them into thin slices. Once you have enough to fill a 9 by 13 glass pan mix the apples and 2 cups of cranberries with the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Layer the apples and cranberries in a large baking dish. Before adding the flour mixture top the apples with the last cup of cranberries.
- Spread the crisp mixture evenly across the entire pan.
- Bake in a 350℉ oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until the crisp turns a nice golden brown and the apples have lost their crispness, but still have some body.
- To make the Orange Zested Whipped Cream use a mixer to combine the cream, orange zest, sugar, and cinnamon whipping it until the whipped cream has reached your preferred thickness.
- This crisp can be served warm or cold, for breakfast, lunch, or dessert. It's particularly delicious as a midnight snack with a cold glass of milk.