Grilled Pizza with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Garlic Olive Oil
Grilled pizza is a new and fun way to reinvent an old classic recipe. Grilling the pizza dough provides so much crunchiness and flavor that you may never want to bake your pizza again.
This recipe is different from many other pizza recipes because it doesn’t use red sauce. It is great for the spring and summer months when our appetites change, and we look for foods that are lighter and healthier. You can make this recipe even healthier by substituting whole wheat or whole grain pizza dough for white dough.
Adding fresh vegetables such as spinach and mushrooms is also a great way to sneak in those veggies. Read more about this recipe in Making Grilled Pizza: A New Twist on a Family Favorite.
Grilled Pizza with Spinach, Mushrooms, and Garlic Olive OilPrint Pin Recipe
- 1 pizza dough, from grocery store or local Italian deli
- ½ cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 ½ cups baby bella mushrooms, you can use any variety of mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped into small pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 3-4 tbsp yellow cornmeal
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your grill to 500 degrees (or as high as it can go)
- Cut your pizza dough in half and wrap the other half in plastic wrap and place it in a zip lock bag or Tupperware. Store this half in the freezer for use at another time. You will only need half of one pizza dough for this recipe. Using the full dough will result in a very doughy pizza pie.
- Sprinkle the flour over a clean surface and work your dough until the flour is absorbed. Stretch the dough into a circular shape using your hands or a rolling pin. Sprinkle your pizza board with cornmeal and place the dough on top and set aside.
- Mince your garlic cloves and cook in olive oil for a few minutes (until garlic is browned and set aside).
- Clean spinach and mushrooms and set aside.
- Place pizza dough on grill for 3-4 minutes or until grill marks are visible, then flip to the other aside for 3-4 minutes until done. *Note time to get grill marks will vary, please check your dough often*.
- Remove the grilled pizza dough from the grill and sprinkle the olive oil and garlic mixture first, and then add spinach and mushrooms. Top with mozzarella cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add the grilled pizza with toppings to the grill again for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove pizza from grill and let it cool for about 5 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!