Old Fashioned Cuba Libre
The Old Fashioned Cuba Libre is the result of a tawdry little affair between a classic Cuba Libre and a much younger mid-century Old Fashioned. Like all good affairs, this one has some nice muddling, a little rum, and a touch of Mexican Coke thrown in for good times.
If you don’t have any Mexican Coke handy, regular Coke will work just fine. Curious about the history of the Cuba Libre? Read Why the Cuba Libre Hates Being Called a Rum and Coke.
Old Fashioned Cuba LibrePrint Pin Recipe
- 2 oz aged rum
- 1/2 oz Cointreau
- 4 oz Mexican Coca-Cola
- 1 lime wedge, muddled
- 1 dash Cherry Bark Bitters
- Garnish with a lime slice and cherry
- In a cocktail shaker squeeze the juice of one lime wedge, tossing the lime in after juicing. Pour in the rum, Cointreau, and a dash of Cherry Bark Bitters.
- Muddle everything together, add some ice, and stir until everything is chilled.
- Strain the cocktail into a large old fashioned glass with a big ice cube and top everything off with some Mexican Coke, about 4 ounces.
- Give it a good stir and garnish with a slice of lime and a nice cherry on top.