Strawberry Shortcake is one of the great warm weather desserts with strawberries, whip cream, and light buttery shortcake all wrapped together in a nice little package.
What makes this strawberry shortcake recipe stand out is how balanced it is with a slightly sweet shortcake, fresh berries, thick whip cream, and just a hint of mint to brighten everything up.
Tips for Delicious Shortcake
If you have a silicone baking mat, use it with the shortcake to keep the bottoms a nice light brown. It also helps to have the butter at room temperature before adding it to the dough and use whole milk, because it makes much better shortcake then skim milk does, trust we tried it, repeatedly.
Everything in this recipe can be made ahead of time. The shortcake will last for a couple of days and should be stored in a sealed container. The whipped cream and strawberries should be kept in the fridge.
For more recipes like this one check out Umami’s Dessert section.
- 2 quarts strawberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 bunch mint
- 1 pint whip cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 dashes cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cut the tops off the strawberries and slice them into bite-sized pieces. Finely dice four or five medium size mint leaves. Mix the strawberries, sugar, mint leaves, cinnamon, and orange juice together. Set aside to macerate for at least 20 minutes.
- To make the shortcake start by mixing the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Whisk the egg and milk together in a small bowl.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture, mixing them together on medium speed, cut in butter, and mix everything for two to three minutes or until mixed thoroughly.
- Use a pair of tablespoons to form the dough into small, tight mounds, roughly a third of a cup in size. Place on a baking sheet, sprinkle with sugar and bake in a 350 degree over for 15 to 18 minutes. The shortcakes should be done when they are just turning brown on the top.
- In a mixer, combine the whipped cream, sugar, and cinnamon together on high speed for four to five minutes until the whipped cream is thick and sturdy.
- To serve, split the shortcakes in half spooning a generous portion of strawberries on the bottom half, top with a couple of spoonfuls of whip cream, add the top layer of shortcake back on.
Check these out for more: