Making a chocolate beet cake will either surprise or disgust your friends! Not everyone can taste the beets in this super moist cake, and as you know some people love beets, and others do not.
The best part is, most people won’t even know they’re there! This is my go-to recipe for potlucks and anything I have to bring a dish to because it’s such a good conversation starter.
You can read about how good this cake is at breaking the ice in Making Friends and Enemies with Chocolate Beet Cake.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups shredded beets, aw or roasted (any kind of beet works!)
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together.
- Shred the beets. In a small pan, melt the chocolate and butter together.
- Add the melted chocolate to the dry ingredients. Then add in the oil and eggs. Mix everything together.
- Then fold in the shredded beets and pour the mixture into a greased pan.
- Bake at 350℉ for 35 minutes, checking with a toothpick. Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool, the cake in the pan. Then remove from pan and frost it if you wish.