Chocolate Bread Pudding with Cherry Amaretto Coulis
Reach for Grandma’s cast-iron skillet for this chocolaty rendition of a classic chocolate bread pudding with cherry amaretto coulis. Rich and dense, this dessert begins on the stovetop and finishes in the oven before uniting with cherry sauce and whipped cream. Skillets have never seemed so glamorous!
While chocolate is cooling, begin preparing and assembling ingredients for the cherry amaretto coulis. You can assemble this recipe in advance and store, covered, in the fridge for up to one day before baking.
Read more about this recipe in The Skillet that Could: Grandma’s Cast Iron and Chocolate Amaretto Bread Pudding with Cherry Amaretto Coulis.
Get More Umami
Sign up to get our best recipes, cooking tips, & stories delivered to your inbox!
Chocolate Bread Pudding with Cherry Amaretto CoulisPrint Pin Recipe
- 10 cups Italian bread, (or other hearty bread), cubed
- ½ cup butter
- 10 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup Amaretto liqueur
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Sliced almonds, (optional)
Cherry Amaretto Coulis
- 2 cups cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 tbps sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbps lemon juice
- 2 tbps Amaretto liqueur, (optional)
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbps confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat, making sure to coat sides of the pan. Add chocolate, cream, sugar and amaretto, whisking until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Mix eggs and milk in a bowl, then slowly add ¼ cup of the cooled chocolate mixture, whisking briskly to temper the eggs. Slowly incorporate the egg mixture into the chocolate in the skillet, continuously whisking until smooth.
- Add the bite-sized cubes of Italian bread to skillet, folding and pressing into the chocolate custard until fully saturated. If desired, sprinkle with almond slices before baking. Bake for 30 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To make the coulis, assemble all ingredients except the amaretto into a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until cherries are soft and slightly cooked down.
- Transfer to a food processor and add the amaretto. If a darker red color is desired, a few drops of red food coloring may also be added at this point. Process until fully blended. Pour into a bowl through a sieve so the coulis is smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare the whipped cream using a cold bowl and utensils (place in freezer a few minutes before use). Blend cream, sugar, and vanilla together on medium speed until peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve the bread pudding warm with the cherry amaretto coulis and a dollop of whipped cream.