With a sweet and spicy dressing, chunks of cheddar cheese, and crunchy chips this taco salad recipe is all about summer picnics and neighborhood potlucks. If you can brown ground beef and chop stuff up, you can make this dish.
Growing up taco salad was the dish my family made for potlucks. Whenever we would bring it somewhere new, you could see people giving it skeptical looks, wondering to themselves why we were bringing a salad featuring Doritos to a potluck – but it never failed, by the end of the night we were always taking home an empty dish and recipe requests.
I’ve expanded the recipe over the years adding some more interesting flavors and texture with the poblano pepper, cumin, and chili powder, but at its heart, this salad is still a Midwestern church basement classic. And although the salad started as a potluck favorite it has become a great summer meal in its own right.
Taco SaladPrint Pin Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup white onion
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large green pepper
- 1/2 poblano pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 4 cups medium cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Ortega taco sauce medium
- 3/4 cup Western dressing
- 1 15 oz bag Nacho Cheese Doritos
Spice Mixture for Ground Beef
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Start by dicing the onion and poblano pepper. Sauté the onion and poblano pepper for a couple of minutes on medium heat. Add in the ground beef and cook everything until it has finished browning. Add in the garlic and chili powders, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- When the ground beef has finished browning drain off any excess grease and set aside to cool.
- A great way to cool and drain ground beef is to pour it into a colander that is lined with a few paper towels.
- While the ground beef is cooling, chop up the lettuce, cut the cheddar cheese into small bite-sized cubes, half the cherry tomatoes, and cut the red and green peppers into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the Western dressing and taco sauce together.
- To serve, combine the lettuce, cheese, peppers, tomatoes, and ground beef together with the dressing. Add the Doritos before serving, crumbling them slightly with your hands as they are added to the salad.