Homemade Cheesy Queso DipThe next time you’re craving a cheesy snack, skip the processed cheese and make this homemade queso dip instead
The next time you’re craving a cheesy snack, skip the processed cheese and make this recipe for homemade queso dip instead.
This queso recipe is easy to play with; sometimes I double the peppers and other times I use pickled jalapeños instead of fresh. Depending on how spicy you like your queso, add more or less of the peppers.
This queso dip tastes great with tortilla chips or pretzels or as a topping for tacos. An easy way to keep the queso warm at parties is to use this stoneware bowl set.
Homemade Cheesy Queso DipPrint Pin Recipe
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½ medium onion, diced small
- 2 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced small
- 2 red chili peppers, seeded and diced small
- 3 tbsp flour
- ½ cup light flavored beer, drink the rest while you cook or substitute more half and half for the beer to equal 2 cups of total liquid
- 1-1/2 cup half and half
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
- salt , to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro and diced peppers for garnish
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, add the onions and cook over medium heat until they are soft.
- Add the peppers and stir to coat with butter. Cook for a minute, add the flour, stir to coat the veggies, and cook for another minute.
- Add the beer and the half & half, whisk gently, so there are no lumps but not so hard the veggies disintegrate.
- Stirring constantly, heat the liquid until it thickens and has a smooth texture, about 4-8 minutes.
- Add both kinds of cheese and whisk until they are melted. Taste and add salt if needed. Garnish with more fresh peppers or cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips and pretzels.