Homemade Graham Cracker Pie Crust
Use a graham cracker crust to bring a nice crunch and hint of sweetness to your next homemade pie
This Homemade Graham Cracker Pie Crust recipe is delicious and easy to make from scratch. The recipe only takes twenty minutes to pull together and is versatile enough to form the base for hundreds of desserts.
Whether you’re making a graham cracker crust or traditional flour pie crust, there’s something about making the whole pie from scratch that makes every bite taste better. This recipe makes enough crust to fill a 9 or 10-inch pie pan.
How to Make a Graham Cracker Pie Crust
Learning how to make a graham cracker pie crust from scratch is a lot easier than it looks and is one of those standard baking items that are so helpful to have in your cooking repertoire.
It doesn’t hurt that all three ingredients graham crackers, sugar, and butter are staples in so many kitchens that everything you need to make a homemade pie crust is always on hand.
For this recipe, we use 6 oz of graham crackers, which roughly works out to 10 standard sheets or 1-1/2 cups of pulverized graham crackers.
Mix the crushed graham crackers with the sugar and butter
There’s just enough butter in the pie crust to hold everything together, which means the pan does not need to be greased before it goes into the oven.
A tip when you’re making this recipe is to use a measuring cup to press down the crushed graham cracker. The flat bottom of the measuring cup produces a more even thickness than fingers can along the bottom of the pie pan.
Using a measuring cup is an easy way to compress the graham crackers
Graham cracker pie crusts are particularly good with cream pies, cheesecakes, and fruit desserts where their light crumbly texture and sweetness compliment the pie’s filling.
- 6 oz graham crackers, pulverized
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- Using a food processor pulverize the graham crackers until they look like large grains of sand. If you don’t have a food processor place the graham crackers in a sealed ziplock bag before using a rolling pin to crush them.
- In a medium bowl, mix the crushed graham crackers with the sugar and melted butter, stirring until everything is combined.
- Pour the mixture into the center of an ungreased pie pan and using a measuring cup or small glass with a flat bottom compact the mixture into the shape of the pan. It helps if you work from the center to the outside of the pan. Using your fingers to form the crust along the edges.
- Bake the crust in a 300ºF oven for 10 minutes. Let the crust cool for 30 minutes on a wire rack before using it for cold desserts.
- If you’re making a no-bake dessert, you can chill the crust in the fridge for 2 hours instead of baking it in the oven.