Lemon Meringue Pie
Tangy lemon, fluffy meringue, and a crunchy graham cracker crust create a tasty pie
A fresh, tangy lemon meringue pie is the perfect contrast to a heavy meal, especially around the holidays.
The lightness of the pie is a reminder that while a little chocolate cake is a delicious way to end dinner, lemon meringue cleanses your palate, with just the right amount of sweet.
The lemon meringue pie recipe uses a homemade graham cracker crust as the base, with a filling that sets up quickly, and no fussy directions for the meringue.
One of the great things about this lemon meringue recipe is that you can make each layer of the dessert, as an individual step, making everything easier.
Graham cracker crust
- 9 ounces graham crackers, two sleeves, finely crushed in a food processor
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup flour
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 cup water
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup lemon juice
- Grated rind of 2 lemons
- 6 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- This recipe is designed to let you make each piece of the pie as an individual step. Start by making the graham cracker crust. While the crust bakes, start working on the filling. While the filling and crust cool together in the refrigerator, make the meringue.
Graham cracker crust
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Melt the butter and mix with the crushed graham crackers and sugar. Press into a 9”x13” baking pan.
- Bake for ten minutes, remove from the oven and cool.
- Separate the eggs. Place the yolks in one bowl and the whites into another. Beat the egg yolks, by hand.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, salt, flour, and cornstarch while slowly stirring in the water. Place the pan over medium heat, stir and whisk until the mixture becomes smooth and thick. This usually takes around 5 to 8 minutes, stirring constantly.
- After the mixture has thickened, remove the pan from the heat and slowly whisk in the egg yolks. Return to a low flame, stir and cook for around 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the butter, lemon juice, and lemon rind.
- Pour the mixture over the graham cracker crust, making sure it’s spread evenly. Place in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Using a mixer, beat the egg whites until the are frothy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks are formed. Slowly add the sugar and beat the meringue until it is glossy and very stiff.
- Pile the meringue over the lemon mixture and spread it out, making decorative waves. Make sure the meringue touches the edges of the pan, covering the lemon.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the pan on a middle rack for 5 to 6 minutes or until the peaks of the meringue are lightly browned.