Rosemary and Thyme Roasted Chicken Breast
Fresh rosemary and thyme mixed with garlic and a little olive oil bring this succulent roast chicken recipe to life. Eating a well-roasted chicken is one of life’s simple pleasures and is a lot easier to make than you might think.
There are a couple of things that help this roast chicken recipe stand out. The first is cooking it in a 400℉ oven rather than the normal 350℉ helps to crisp up the skin on the outside and produces a more full-flavored bird. The second is using fresh herbs, which provide a lot more flavor than dried herbs.
This roast chicken works great as a centerpiece to build dinners around. If you want to cook a special dinner try this recipe along with our Savory Pancetta and Leek Bread Pudding or Roasted Rosemary Red Potatoes.
Get More Umami
Sign up to get our best recipes, cooking tips, & stories delivered to your inbox!
Rosemary and Thyme Roasted Chicken BreastPrint Pin Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on
- 1 1/2 tbsp rosemary
- 1 1/2 tbsp thyme
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt for the chicken
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt for brine
- To start, we're going to brine the chicken, which helps to make sure it's nice and juicy. To make the brine mix 1 tbsp of salt with two cups of water in a bowl big enough to hold the chicken and the water. Drop the chicken in, making sure it's completely submerged, for at least 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is brining prepare the herb mixture by finely mincing the rosemary, thyme, and garlic. Make sure to use fresh rosemary and thyme for this recipe; using fresh herbs makes a big difference in how the dish tastes. Mix the herbs and garlic together with the salt, pepper, and olive oil to form a paste.
- When the chicken has finished brining, take it out of the water, and pat dry with a paper towel. Spread the herb mixture over the whole chicken, making sure to get some under the skin.
- Roast the chicken in a baking dish at 400℉ for 32 to 36 minutes. The chicken is done when it is firm to the touch and cooked to 165℉. When you take it out of the oven cover it with foil and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.