Tender Shrimp Cocktail
For tender shrimp cocktail that tastes great try slow poaching the shrimp with some lemons and limes.
Delicious shrimp cocktail starts with good shrimp. The best option is fresh medium-sized shrimp that still have their shells. If you want to save time buy ones that are already deveined.
Using lemons and limes creates a flavorful poaching liquid that means the cocktail sauce is optional for this shrimp cocktail.
Tender Shrimp CocktailPrint Pin Recipe
- 24 to 36 shrimp
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp whole peppercorns
- 1 tbsp salt
- Start by filling a medium sized pot about half full of water and put it on a burner on low heat.
- Take a lemon and lime and quarter them, set aside one-quarter from each, squeezing the juice from the other three-quarters into the water, throw the used lemon and lime pieces into the water. Set aside the remaining quarters for later.
- Put two tablespoons of whole peppercorns into the water along with a tablespoon of salt. Let everything steep for twenty to thirty minutes.
- Wash the shrimp in cold water. After washing, add the shrimp to the water. You want to make sure the water is warm, but not anywhere near boiling.
- Cook the shrimp for 8 to 10 minutes, until they have turned a nice pink. Take them out of poaching liquid and let them cool in the refrigerator until chilled through.
- Prior to serving squeeze the lemon and lime wedges over the shrimp along with a pinch of salt. The most interesting salts to use are sea salts from Hawaii or the South Pacific.