Mexican Chicken is the perfect embodiment of comfort food. Our Mexican Chicken Recipe is easy to make for big groups and is something almost everyone loves because it has loads of cheese and a nice crunch.
For me Mexican Chicken also comes with lots of great memories of making it for friends; it’s also the answer to the question “If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life?” That’s the thing with comfort food, it’s not about whether it’s a real Mexican dish, it’s not, it’s just a very good hot dish, that provides something more than a meal.
For me Mexican Chicken also comes with lots of great memories of making it for friends; it's also the answer to the question "If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life?" That's the thing with comfort food, it's not about whether it's a real Mexican dish, it's not, it's just a very good hot dish, that provides something more than a meal.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 chicken thighs
- 10 1/2 oz can cream of mushroom
- 16 oz light sour cream
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup roasted green chilis
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 pound Nacho Cheese Doritos
- 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Put the chicken in a large pot and cover with water. Turn the heat to a low simmer, leave it for an hour and a half or until the chicken has just cooked through. You don't want to overcook the chicken here since it will cook for another 30 minutes in the oven. Take the chicken out, let it cool, then shred by hand.
- While the chicken is cooking finely mince the cilantro and drain the green chilis.
In a 9 by 13 pan lay down a thick layer of Dorito crunchiness, using your hands to break the chips into slightly smaller pieces. Spread a quarter cup of cheese over the chips.
- In a large bowl mix the sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, salsa, cilantro, and green chilis together. Mix the cumin, ancho chili powder, salt, and pepper together with the shredded chicken. Add the chicken to the sour cream mixture along with a 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Spread the chicken mixture on top of the chips and cover with the remaining 3 1/2 cups of cheese. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in a 350 ℉ oven, the dish is done when the cheese is all melted and is just about to start turning brown. Serve with a big spoon and a smile.
This dish evolved from being one of my childhood favorites that we would throw together with a few ingredients to something with more depth and complexity.
Here are a few helpful hints for making great Mexican Chicken:
- Believe it or not, the only chip that works here is Nacho Cheese Doritos.
- Don't use low-fat cheese, we've tried all sorts of different cheeses, and the one that works best for this dish is the pre-shredded Sargento Mexican cheese blend.
-The cream of mushroom soup should be the type you need to add liquid to, not the ready to eat kind, which will make the dish too runny.
-Use the roasted green chilis that come in a small can and are pre-diced.
-For the best results use bone-in, skin-on chicken. Using real chicken helps to protect the meat during the cooking process and adds flavor. If you want to reduce the cooking time you can cook the chicken on higher heat or in a pan.
Sign up for our newsletter to get delicious recipes and interesting stories.