Shredded Chicken Enchiladas with Cream Salsa VerdeCreamy salsa verde infuses every bite of this chicken enchilada recipe with creamy, cheesy deliciousness
These shredded chicken enchiladas are filled with plump, juicy chicken and bold flavors. Topped with a creamy salsa verde sauce, this recipe infuses every bite of the enchiladas with cheesy deliciousness.
There’s something comforting about eating enchiladas as if everything good got wrapped up in a little package for dinner. This is one of those recipes that works equally well when you double it to feed a large group of people or when you make it for yourself over the weekend and eat the enchiladas for lunches or as leftovers.
The thing about making enchiladas at home is that they can feel like a lot of work, with all the different components they do take some time to make right. But don’t be intimidated, all of the steps are easy to do, and if you can get people to restrain themselves, these enchiladas will last all week.
This enchilada recipe uses our Shredded Chicken recipe as the base for the filling. We’ve included a scaled down version here so you don’t have to flip between recipes but would recommend making the full Shredded Chicken recipe, which makes around six cups of chicken or enough to double the enchilada recipe or have extra chicken hanging around for tacos, quesadillas, or whatever your heart desires.
Tips for Better Homemade Enchiladas
A somewhat unique feature in this recipe is how we roll our enchiladas. We like to fold the edges of the tortilla inwards after they’ve been filled to help keep everything together and so we can fit 8 enchiladas into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
A tip when reheating enchiladas is to use the oven instead of the microwave. Reheat them in a 350℉ oven for 15 minutes, and they’ll be good as new. Use a microwave, and they’ll turn out a little gummy.
A great side dish for these enchiladas is our Instant Pot Mexican Rice, the flavors in the enchiladas and the rice are designed to complement each other and make a delicious dinner when paired together, especially if some Fresh Squeezed Margaritas are thrown in.
Shredded Chicken Enchiladas with Creamy Salsa VerdePrint Pin Recipe
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup white onion, rough cut
- 2 oz roasted green chilies
- 1/2 ancho chili , dried rough cut
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 10 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 4 oz can roasted green chilies
Creamy Salsa Verde Sauce
- 6 oz salsa verde
- 8 oz chicken stock
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- a small amount of minced cilantro
- In a large pot sauté the onion and green chilies in a little cooking oil for a few minutes.
- Place the chicken, skin side down to brown for 3 to 4 minutes. Cover the chicken with 3 to 4 cups water, turn the heat down to a simmer, add the ancho chili and Mexican oregano and cook uncovered on a low simmer for 90 minutes. The chicken should be entirely covered by the water.
- When the chicken is cooked all the way through, remove it from the pot and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before shredding. It should be cool enough that you can touch it with your hands. To shred the chicken, remove the skin and use your hands to pull it into bite-sized pieces.
- Once the chicken has been shredded, mix it with the chili powder, cumin, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
Filling & Sauce
- While the chicken is stewing make a little roux by heating the butter and flour in a sauce pan over medium heat. Once they’ve formed a roux, which will look like a light brown paste, add in the salsa verde and chicken stock.
- Continue stirring the sauce while it cooks for a few minutes. Once the sauce has started to thicken, take it off the heat and let it cool for at least 20 minutes before adding the sour cream. After the sauce has cooled, stir in the sour cream until the two are combined.
- To make the filling mix the shredded chicken with the roasted green chilies, cilantro, and 1 cup of cheese in a large bowl.
Prepping the Enchiladas
- Warm up the tortillas in the microwave or oven until they are soft and pliable.
- Place a small scoop of the filling, around 1/2 to 3/4 cup, in the center of the tortilla. Fold the tortilla in half pulling back on the tortilla to compact the filling. Fold the sides in and flip the tortilla over the filling like you’re wrapping a present.
- Place the tortilla in a lightly greased baking dish so the folded side is down. Continue making the enchiladas until the filling is all used up. This recipe makes 8 to 10 enchiladas depending on the size of the tortillas and how much filling is used.
- Pour the sauce over the enchiladas, spreading it evenly. Spread the remaining cheese over the top of the enchiladas along with a sprinkling of cilantro and bake them in a 350ºF oven for 20 to 25 minutes. The enchiladas are done when they start turning a nice golden brown.
Check these out for more: