The Bees Knees lives up to its name with warm honey flavors and beautiful golden color.
A traditional summer cocktail, our Bees Knees recipe includes gin, lemon juice, and our special honey simple syrup.
What makes honey such a unique sweetener is that it adds rich, complex flavors to whatever you’re cooking while refined sugar and most other sweeteners just add sweetness.
Since we wanted our recipe to be all about the honey, we add a dab of honey into the cocktail shaker to help bring the honey’s rich, complex flavors to life.
We also include some egg white to smooth everything out and add a little froth. Using egg whites is an excellent way to elevate a cocktail, here it helps cut the bitterness of the lemon and meld the flavors together.
Here are some tips and recommendations for this drink.
- Gin – This is a cocktail where lighter gins with more floral notes shine.
- Lemon Juice – The deeper, rounder flavors in freshly squeezed lemon juice make it the right choice here.
- Honey Syrup – Use our Honey Simple Syrup recipe for a delicious syrup that can be used in cocktails, baking, and for making everyday life a little sweeter.
- Egg White – A trick we use for making cocktails with egg whites is to buy a small container of egg whites at the grocery store. They’re just as good as freshly separated ones, last a lot longer in the fridge, and are much easier to use.
- Honey – We’re big proponents of locally produced organic honey as a great way to support local agriculture.
The froth from the egg whites likes to fill the cocktail shaker up when these are being mixed. We’re big fans of this Stainless Steel Cocktail Shaker.
To avoid messes, you can make them two at a time in a larger shaker; if you’re using a small or medium shaker it’s a lot less messy to make them one at a time.
This is a great gin cocktail to serve in the summer or fall with fresh grilled vegetables and salads.
- 2 oz gin
- 3/4 oz lemon juice
- 3/4 oz honey syrup
- 1 oz egg white
- Dab of honey
- Add the gin, lemon juice, honey simple syrup, and egg white to a cocktail shaker filled halfway with ice.
- Before shaking, add a dab of honey to the shaker, then shake vigorously for a couple of minutes. If you want to have some fun while you’re making your cocktail, throw a little bumblebee dance in there while you’re shaking everything up.
- Serve the Bees Knees by straining it into a coupe glass.