This tangy German potato salad is great served warm or cold and uses bacon in two different ways to add flavor and crunch.
This potato salad with bacon can be served hot or cold and is a great side dish for just about anything coming off the grill in the summer.
We recommend cooking a couple of extra strips of bacon in the oven as a chef’s treat.
- 4 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 medium white onion
- 4 strips bacon
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Start by washing the potatoes and cutting them into bite-sized pieces. Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water and turn the heat on high. Once the potatoes have come to a boil check for tenderness.4 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
- For this potato salad, you want to cook the potatoes until they are fork-tender, but not so soft that they turn into mashed potatoes when you’re mixing them with the other ingredients.
- While the potatoes are cooking, dice the onion and celery into small bite sized pieces, finely mince the garlic. On a broiler pan, cook two strips of bacon at 350°F degrees. The bacon should be cooked until its crispy, but not blackened or burnt.3 stalks celery, 1 medium white onion, 4 cloves garlic, 4 strips bacon
- In a small bowl, whisk the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper together and set them aside.1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper
- When the potatoes have finished cooking pour them into a large colander and run cold water over them to stop the cooking process.
- Dice the other two strips of bacon into small pieces and put them into the pot the potatoes were cooked in. Turn the heat to high and add the bacon. After the bacon has cooked for three to four minutes and has given up enough fat that it slides easily around the pan, sauté the onions, celery, and garlic in the pot.
- Once the onions have started to turn translucent turn the heat down to low, pour in the cider vinegar mixture, followed by the potatoes. Stir everything together and let cook on low for five minutes and season to taste.
- When you’re ready to serve finely dice the bacon cooked in the oven and sprinkle it across the top of the potato salad.