Mashed Potatoes with Pepper Jack Cheese and Roasted Green Chilies
Mashed potatoes with pepper jack cheese and green chilies have just the right amount of heat to compliment spicier dishes. They go particularly well with southwestern dishes and anything off the grill.
What we like about red potatoes for this dish is how well they work with green chilies and chili powder. We tried other types of potatoes, and they tend to get lost in the other flavors.
Mashed Potatoes with Pepper Jack Cheese and Roasted Green ChiliesPrint SaveSaved! Pin
- 3 lbs red potatoes
- 8 oz pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 4 oz can roasted green chilies
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- diced green onion for garnish
- Start by washing the potatoes and cutting them into large chunks. Cook the potatoes by placing them into a large pot filled with cool water.
- Turn the heat on high and cook them for 25 to 30 minutes. The potatoes will be done when you can easily push a fork into them.
- While the potatoes are cooking shred the cheese and finely dice the red onion and green chilies.
- When the potatoes have finished cooking drain the water and add the milk, cheese, red onions, green chilies, butter, salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- Mash away until the potatoes have reached your preferred consistency. Garnish with the tops of some diced green onion.