Making Spanish rice from scratch is easy to do, tastes better, and is a lot healthier than buying a mix full of words you can’t pronounce.
This Spanish rice recipe gets its flavors from a few simple spices and sautéing the vegetables at the start.
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 – 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 – 4 oz can roasted green chilies, diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 green onions
- Finely dice the green onions, separating the white and green parts of the onions.
- Sauté the green chilies and the white part of the green onions for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bring everything to a boil, add in the rice, give everything a good stir. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover tightly, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat and let everything rest for 5 to 8 minutes, until the rice has absorbed the liquid. Stir in the green onion tops and serve.