Turkey tacos are one of our favorite weeknight meals. With this recipe they’re simple to make, healthy, and make great leftovers.
What makes this recipe stand out is the addition of the roasted green chilies and how the spices and other ingredients create a sauce that adds layers of flavor with just the right amount of heat.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 4 oz can roasted green chilies
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 8 to 12 tortillas, flour or corn
- 1/3 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups cheese, shredded
- Start by dicing the onion and sautéing it along with the green chilies on medium heat for three to four minutes. Add in the ground turkey to brown.
- While the turkey is browning, mix the taco sauce, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper with a 1/4 cup of water.
- After the turkey has finished browning drain off any excess grease, if there is any, and pour in the sauce.
- Give everything a good stir and cook uncovered on a low simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve on your favorite type of tortillas with shredded cheese, lettuce, and taco sauce.