Turkey Sloppy Joes
Turkey Sloppy Joes are an easy to make, tasty dish that is a great way to step up your weeknight dinners. They’re also healthier and lighter than regular sloppy joes.
What makes this turkey sloppy joe recipe so tasty is how the combination of BBQ sauce, ketchup, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce round out and deepen the dish’s flavors.
Turkey Sloppy JoesPrint Pin Recipe
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 oz tomato paste
- 1 can stewed tomatoes, (14 oz)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Start by dicing the onion and garlic. Then sauté the onion and garlic with a little oil in a medium-high pan for a few minutes. Add in the turkey to brown, stirring it as it cooks.
- Once the turkey is browned, pour off any excess liquid and reduce the heat to a low simmer. Add the ketchup, BBQ sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar, giving everything a good stir.
- Drain the tomatoes and break them up into smaller pieces as you add them.
- Stir in the chili powder, smoked paprika, thyme, cumin, mustard powder, salt, and pepper. Cover the pan and let everything cook on low heat for 20 minutes to let the flavors come together. Stir occasionally.
- Serve on lightly toasted buns.
Check these out for more: