Mesquite Smoked Buffalo Chuck Roast
With a nice smoke ring and a soft juicy texture, this buffalo chuck roast is delicious on its own or as the starting point for a week of amazing smoked buffalo sandwiches.
Using mesquite to smoke the chuck roast adds a slightly tangy wood flavor that compliments the buffalo and helps bring out the flavor of the plains.
Mesquite Smoked Buffalo Chuck RoastPrint Pin Recipe
- 3 lb buffalo chuck roast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 capfuls of Worcestershire sauce
- Start by combining the salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic, and onion powder.
- Pour a capful of Worcestershire sauce on each side of the roast and massage it in before rubbing on the spice mixture. Adding the Worcestershire first adds flavor and helps the spices stick to the buffalo.
- For the best results smoke the buffalo at 200℉ for 5 to 6 hours. If you don't have as much time, you can smoke the chuck roast between 220℉ and 250℉ for four hours. It won't be as tender at the higher temperature, but it will still be delicious.
- The buffalo chuck roast is ready when it's internal temperature is between 130℉ and 140℉.
- Let the roast rest for 20 minutes covered with foil to let it relax before slicing. We like to sprinkle the slices with a little hickory smoked sea salt before serving.