Pico de GalloPico de Gallo is a great addition to any Southwestern or Mexican dish
Pico de gallo is a great addition to any Mexican or southwestern dish. The fresh tomatoes, cilantro, and pepper are an easy way to brighten up tacos, burritos, and quesadillas.
Pico de gallo, which is sometimes called salsa fresca, can also be served with chips and is a great addition to grilled fish and pork dishes.
The standard ingredients in pico de gallo include tomatoes, cilantro, red onion, and Anaheim pepper with some lemon juice to bring everything together.
The biggest difference between this recipe for pico and a lot of salsa recipes is the pico is less processed, which helps the freshness in tomatoes come through.
It’s also why using the best tomatoes you can find is important to making a good pico.
If you like more heat, the Anaheim pepper can easily be replaced by a serrano, poblano, or jalapeno pepper.
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 cup cilantro , rough chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion , diced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 Anaheim pepper, diced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- pinch of sea salt
- Cut the tomatoes into small bite-sized pieces, dice the red onion and Anaheim pepper. Juice half a lemon and roughly chop the cilantro leaves.
- In a small bowl, mix the tomatoes, onion, pepper, and cilantro with the cumin and a pinch of sea salt.
- Cover and let the pico rest for a few minutes before serving.
Check these out for more: