Cretan Dakos are a simple, delicious, Greek dish that is often served as an appetizer or with drinks. If you can’t find barley rusks at your local grocery, check an international grocery store. Also, rye or wheat rusk can be substituted as well.
This is a quick and easy appetizer whenever you have feta cheese and tomatoes around. Rusks keep easily in your pantry.
Read more about dakos in Heather’s story – ReCRETEing: Making Cretan Dakos at Home.
- 3 tomatoes, crushed
- dash of salt, (optional)
- 6 barley rusks
- feta cheese, crumbled
- dried oregano
- olive oil
- Set the barley rusks on a serving platter.
- Crush the tomatoes and add a sprinkle of salt.
- Place tomatoes on top of each rusk.
- Then top the rusks with crumbled feta cheese.
- Pour olive oil on top of dakos, it will get all over the plate! That’s just perfect.
- Sprinkle dried oregano on top.