Simple Italian Risotto
Risotto is one of the recipes that every cook needs to know. The technique becomes easier with practice, and the simplicity of just a few ingredients that turn into a creamy, soothing texture make this risotto recipe a perfect weeknight dish.
Want to find out more about risotto patience and this recipe read A Florentine Christmas with Risotto.
Simple Italian RisottoPrint Pin Recipe
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 to 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, shredded
- This process takes 20 minutes so prep your ingredients, find your favorite wooden spoon, pour yourself a glass of wine and don't stop stirring.
- Warm the stock on the stovetop and preheat a large straight-sided skillet to medium high.
- Add the olive oil and diced onion, sauté until the onion is soft. Add the Arborio rice and stir until all the rice is coated with olive oil.
- Add the white wine and stir until the wine is absorbed. Add enough of the warm stock to cover the rice.
- Stir until it is all absorbed and then add more stock to cover the rice again, continue adding stock until it is gone and absorbed by the rice. Don't stop stirring. This will take 20 minutes.
- Taste the rice; it should be al dente. You may need to add some hot water if the rice isn't fully cooked and you’ve used all the stock. Use the same warming process you would with the stock.
- Turn down the heat, add at least a ½ cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese. If you use a really good parmesan, you usually don't need to add salt. Add the basil at the last minute before serving.