Healthy Smoked Salmon Breakfast Toast
Lox and bagels are one of my all-time favorite breakfasts. I love getting a serving of good for you salmon combined with cream cheese mixed with onion. The problem is that traditionally it is made with bagels and cream cheese, which provide more calories and fat than I want for breakfast during the week.
This version, made with toast and cottage cheese, is a good alternative and a great way to get more servings of Omega-3 and a boost of protein from the cottage cheese first thing in the morning.
This recipe is just a guide; sometimes I add capers, tomatoes, cucumbers or any other veggies that are in the fridge. This version is my go-to recipe because I usually have all these ingredients on hand.
Healthy Smoked Salmon Breakfast ToastPrint Pin Recipe
- 1-2 pieces toasted rye, pumpernickel, or ancient grain bread
- 2-3 pieces smoked salmon or lox
- 1/4-1/2 cup organic cottage cheese
- Sliced shallots or red onion
- Sliced veggies
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dill, dried or fresh, to taste
- Lemon wedge
- Toast one or two pieces of good rye, ancient grain, or pumpernickel bread. Spread cottage cheese and add a little salt and pepper.
- Layer thinly sliced shallots or red onion and any other sliced vegetable you are using. Layer two or three pieces of the cold smoked salmon, sprinkle with dried or fresh dill and a quick squeeze of lemon.