Chicken, Potato and Chickpea Curry
This chicken curry recipe has my favorite elements of Indian takeout along with the benefits of home cooking and comfort food. This curry combines chicken, potatoes, and chickpeas in a sauce that balances the spiciness from the curry seasonings with the creaminess from the yogurt.
This easy weeknight dinner has recently become a favorite in our house. The potatoes provide an earthy element to the curry, while the yogurt brings creaminess to balance the spice from the curry seasonings. The peppers, onions, spinach and cilantro bring a bit of freshness and lighten up the dish.
The seasonings can be adjusted based on your taste. For mild leave out the cayenne and use mild curry powder. For spicy use hot curry powder and fresh cayenne pepper. This chicken curry is delicious served with either naan bread or with basmati rice – although certainly, no one would complain if you served it with both!
Chicken, Potato and Chickpea CurryPrint Pin Recipe
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes, approximately 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow pepper, diced
- 3/4 lb chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 14 oz can chickpeas
- 1-1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 6 oz whole milk plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add oil and heat until it just starts to shimmer. Add cubed potatoes. Cover and cook for approximately 5 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add diced peppers, diced onions, and 1 teaspoon salt. Replace cover and cook for 7-8 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add diced chicken thighs. Replace cover and cook for 7-8 min, stirring occasionally. Then add spices, spinach, chickpeas and remaining teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook 4-5 minutes until spinach is wilted and chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in yogurt and chopped cilantro. Cook 1-2 minutes until heated through.