Grilled AsparagusAll it takes to bring out asparagus' natural deliciousness is some lemon juice, garlic, and a hot grill
To make delicious grilled asparagus all you need is a little olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and garlic. This recipe uses the grill to add a little char that highlights the asparagus’ natural flavors.
A good tip when cooking asparagus is to take one stalk and bend the end until it snaps off. Snapping asparagus this way shows where to cut the rest of the bunch off, so you can get rid of the ends, which can be tough and fibrous, especially in larger stocks. This does not need to be done on small tender stalks.
How to Grill Asparagus
There are a couple of things that help when you’re grilling asparagus. The first is to use a grill pan to reduce the number of stalks that fall through the grate.
To cook all of the asparagus evenly it helps if it’s grilled in a single layer. A lot of times when it’s two or three layers thick some stalks get overcooked and others will taste almost raw.
The second tip is to season the asparagus before and after it comes off the grill. As far as vegetables go this one doesn’t do a good job of absorbing flavors. This is why we like to throw it back into the pan with the marinade after it comes off the grill. It also doesn’t hurt to hit it with a little bit of salt and lemon juice right before it’s served.
The third thing that makes a big difference is timing everything so the asparagus goes from grill to plate with as little time off the heat as possible. Very few things cool down as fast as asparagus does. To help keep it warm we’ll cover it with aluminum foil if it’s going to be off the heat for then a couple of minutes.
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Wash the asparagus and cut off the ends. Mince the garlic and mix it in a small bowl with the olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt.
- In a small pan coat the asparagus with the lemon juice mixture and let it marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cook the asparagus on a medium high grill for 5 to 10 minutes, turning the asparagus half way through to make sure it cooks evenly.
- Grill the asparagus until it is cooked all the way through, but not for so long that it is limp and sad.
- When the asparagus has finished grilling throw it back in the pan with the marinade and mix it with the remaining marinade before serving. This helps brighten up the flavors.
Check these out for more: