For grilled lamb chops that are juicy and delicious, use a little smoked paprika, roasted garlic, and a squirt of lemon juice to brighten up the lamb’s natural flavors.
How to Cook Lamb Chops on Grill
Grilling perfectly delicious lamb chops is easy if you follow a couple of easy steps. It starts by avoiding flare-ups that can turn your chops into little lamb flavored briquettes if you’re not careful.
To avoid flare-ups and give the chops time to cook all the way through we use a three burner approach where the middle burner is set on low or is off, and the two outside burners are set on medium. This approach takes a little longer but turns out lamb chops cooked evenly all the way through.
One of the most common questions about grilling lamb chops is how long it takes to grill lamb chops. In our testing, it usually takes 6 to 8 minutes per side over medium heat to grill the chops to a nice medium. This is for chops that are around an inch thick. Thinner chops will take less time, thicker chops will take more.
Lamb Chop Seasoning
To season the lamb chops for this recipe we use Spanish and Mediterranean flavors to give the chops bright flavors with a hint of smokiness that comes from the smoked paprika and grill.
The roasted garlic powder adds an extra layer of depth to the flavor in the chops, compared to regular garlic powder. If you don’t have roasted garlic powder, substitute regular garlic powder, and the lamb chops will still be delicious.
We recommend serving 2 to 3 chops per person for dinner. A few side dishes that go well with grilled chops are some smartly fired Grilled Green Beans with Goat Cheese, a fluffy Couscous with Roasted Red Peppers and Feta Cheese.
- 1 lb lamb chops
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp roasted garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Start by combining the smoked paprika, roasted garlic powder, salt, and pepper into a spice rub.
- Apply the rub to the chops, making sure to get the spice rub all over the lamb chops.
- Using the three burner method, described above, grill the lamb chops on medium to low heat for 6 to 8 minutes a side.
- When the chops have finished cooking, take them off the grill, cover them with foil, and let them rest for three to four minutes.
- Right before you serve the lamb chops, squeeze a little lemon over the top.