This scrumptious lamb burger recipe gets its Mediterranean flavors from cumin, coriander, and smoked paprika. So many lamb burgers are one-note affairs that treat the lamb like it’s a gyro.
The seasoning for these grilled lamb burgers embrace the lamb’s natural flavors by using smoked paprika to deepen, coriander to brighten, and cumin to add a sense of mystery and a touch of heat to the burger’s flavor.
Grilled Lamb Burgers
Grilling lamb burgers is just easy as grilling any other type of burger. Here are some simple tips for better grilled burgers. The key with ground lamb is to make sure that burgers aren’t overcooked, which will dry them out and that they’re season with things that compliment the lamb’s flavor – think Mediterranean cuisines especially spices used in Spanish, Greek, and Moroccan cuisines.
To top everything off grill up some shallots and combine them with goat cheese and some chives to create a delicious lamb burger that feels familiar but tastes like it’s from somewhere exotic.
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 tsp chives, optional
- 2 medium shallots, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Start by mincing a 1/4 cup worth of shallots to mix with the ground lamb. Depending on the size of the shallots it usually takes most of a medium shallot to get a 1/4 cup of minced shallot. The rest of the shallots should be cut into thick slices for the grill. Mince the garlic.
- Mix the smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper together with a 1/4 cup of minced shallot and the garlic. Combine the spices and lemon juice with the lamb. Divide the lamb into 3 or 4 burgers, depending on the desired size.
- Grill the burgers for 5 to 7 minutes a side on medium to medium-high heat. Using a grill pan, grill the shallots until they have a nice brown color.
- While the burgers are resting, mince the grilled shallots and chives and mix them with the goat cheese.
- Serve the burgers on a grilled bun with a dollop of the goat cheese mixture on top.